Wednesday, December 03, 2008

My kind of left wing

written Sept 21

So clearly I'm left wing. Sometimes I find that I'm more left wing than my friends. This confuses me slightly. Or maybe I'm just misusing the word left wing (which is technically two words, but whatever). In that case, I'm not totally sure what I really mean. Feminist?

Things I believe that my friends generally also believe (oversimplified, of course):
-women should have the right to choose an abortion
-queer people are the equals of heterosexuals; they should be allowed equal legal status, including unions and adoptions
-taxes are good because they give you public services
-women don't need to wear make up
-vegetarianism is a good way to be, but not essential
-no one should have absolute authority; we are all human; none of us is right all the time (this has manifested in me talking back to teachers, for instance)
-it is essential for us to reduce the current damage we are doing to the planet, and to try to undo some of the damage we have done; humans are the cause of climate change
-universal health care = the shiznit
-war is not the answer; killing people = bad
-don't give people guns. they will shoot each other. see above point.
-please don't censor me.

Things I believe that seem to weird my friends out/not so mainstream:
-shaving is unnecessary to be beautiful/accepted
-marriage is an antiquated practice, and if a couple loves each other, shouldn't be necessary for their happiness and unity. it is also sexist, and heavily based in religion (though, yeah, you can have a non-religious ceremony. I know.)
-most of my friends are atheist/agnostic and don't care that much, but I am seriously baffled by religion. and get very frustrated very quickly when I start thinking about it. AHH

etc.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home