Comedians
I have recently been getting way, way into comedy, mostly British and Australian comedy.
Some awesome Australian comedians are:
Tripod (band). They started this whole venture into comedy, FSM bless them.
Paul McDermott (who also sings, and was a member of DAAS and GUD; hosts GNW and hosted The Sideshow)
Wil Anderson (hunky, smart, used to host The Glass House, paints his nails, and his cat sleeps on his groin; need to know more?; he's also the host of a new show, The Gruen Transfer, as well as co-hosting the Wil and Lehmo radio show)
Adam Hills (fantastic standup routine similar to TJ Dawe; also hosts Spicks & Specks, which is... not funny.)
The Umbilical Brothers
Tim Minchin (satirical songster, currently living in London)
The Chaser (stars of The Chaser's War on Everything; both seasons are uploaded on YouTube!)
Hamish and Andy, who have a radio show, The Hamish and Andy Show. How... original. They also show up on Rove every once in a while and do funny stunts such as ghosting!
Good News Week --> Mikey Robins, Claire Hooper
I like Wil and Adam because they both bring up issues in their comedy - women's rights, the war in Iraq, etc. - and make insightful points about them. I think this is the best role of comedy. Not just to make us laugh, but to make observations on the absurdity of some of the things we do. I like Tim Minchin because he also brings up issues in his songs, mostly about religion. And I think he is so right.
Some awesome British comedians are:
Russell Howard & Jon Richardson
Ed Byrne (I just like him cause he's cute)
Noel Fielding (seriously weird but oh so cute; and the hair... the hair!)
Rainer Hersch
Mock the Week (show, hosted by Dara O'Briain) --> Frankie Boyle, Hugh Dennis
Never Mind the Buzzcocks (show, hosted by Simon Amstell. funniest show ever.) --> Bill Bailey
American:
Russell Peters is pretty funny.
Bo Burnham is a 17 year old musical funny man. Wow are his rhymes tight! (-snicker at self-)
I dislike most American comedy. Think: Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park.
I saw the Pajama Men and the Cody Rivers Show at the Fringe Festival as well, and they were both really good.
Canadian TJ Dawe did a fantastic show at the 2007 Fringe Festival called Maxim & Cosmo that struck about a bazillion chords with me.
Kiwis Flight of the Conchords are very silly and have a cool TV show.
I'm probably forgetting a load.

1 Comments:
You have impeccable taste in Australian comedy!
Post a Comment
<< Home