Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Wil Affair

Ok, so the title to this post is nowhere near as good as the titles of Wil Anderson's shows, but hey, he's a professional comedian, and I came up with it in about two seconds. So.
I'll cut to the chase: I am in love with Wil Anderson. He's an Australian comedian, he's 34, he lives in Sydney. He used to host The Glass House on the ABC until it got cut. He has a radio show on Triple M every weekday called the Wil and Lehmo show. He's been to the Melbourne Int'l Comedy Festival, as well as others, and he always puts his name into the title of his solo shows (Who Wants to be a Wilionaire?). He's the host of a brand new show that dissects advertising, called The Gruen Transfer. It's also on the ABC, so fingers crossed that it won't be cut! (I'm still bitter about them axing The Sideshow, even though I only discovered it after it finished running.)
So there's plenty of (good) Wil to go around. His radio show is available to download as a podcast, and although it's not quite as exciting as the Hamish and Andy show, it is certainly much more mature and I like their humour a lot better. They actually do semi-useful stunts, like going on a diet and selling their possessions and giving the money to charity. I'm still about three weeks behind in the podcasts, but once I catch up maybe I'll be able to e-mail in or something. Cause 4 pm in Australia is... the middle of the night here, I think. And the long distance rates would probably not be swell.
Some things I know about Wil: he's a vegetarian, he's a cat person, he just came out of a seven year relationship, and he's gone to counselling about it. I suspect he's still at least sort of in love with her; it seems like it was her who broke it off, and quite suddenly as well. During his six weeks of diet/exercise, Lehmo and he posted what they ate every day, and all Wil seemed to eat was sushi and cups of soup. The man needs someone to cook for him! I know I have a complex for wanting to fix guys though. I'll have to watch myself as I grow older. At least his face doesn't need fixing; just his eating habits...!
Some people think he's quite cocky, but I don't really see that. I agree that he's confident, but I don't think he's full of himself. I mean, he's 34 and a standup comedian. You've got to have some confidence; you have to be sure of yourself to do that! At least he isn't a complete idiot like Hamish, in any case. I haven't seen a lot of The Glass House, but I think I can see how a lot of people thought it was stupid and not funny. It looks... weird, to say the least. But where there's a Wil there's a way (...?) so he's back on TV wooh!
In my mind I live in Australia. I wonder if I should allow myself to be somewhere else entirely in my mind, but eh. I like it there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home